“ The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” – Melody Beattie
Happy New Year!
I love starting each new year. It is a time to start fresh, leave the last year behind, and focus forward.
As we welcome in 2019, it is the perfect time to create your goals, whether it is by updating your performance plan or a personal life plan. Some tend to find goal setting daunting. It will be less so if you think of it as your plan, your road to an awesome year.
Let me help by providing you with 18 questions to setting EXTRAORDINARY goals.
EXTRAORDINARY Goals are:
- Outcome focused: Once you understand your WHY (and it’s an enthusiastic WHY) you’re 90% there!
- In line with your values: The more a goal aligns with your inner or core values, the EASIER it will be to achieve. NOTE: We can achieve goals that don‘t align with our values, but it‘s harder to do and less satisfying.
- Stated in the positive: i.e., “I want healthy fingernails” rather than “I want to stop biting my nails.”
- and SMART:
Specific (you know exactly what you’re trying to achieve)
Measurable (you know when you’ve reached it!)
Action-oriented (you can DO something about it!)
Realistic (it IS achievable)
Time-Bound (has a deadline)
Focusing on the Outcome:
- What is it that you really, REALLY want? Dig deep…
- What is the SPECIFIC outcome you’re looking for?
- What is the PAIN for you of NOT achieving your goal?
Aligning with your Values:
- Is this goal in line with your life vision/overall life-plan? (Don‘t know – what does your gut tell you?)
- Is this goal in line with your values? (Unsure? Ask yourself what’s important to you in life – will this goal help you achieve more of that?)
- Are the goals something YOU truly want, or are they something you think you SHOULD have or SHOULD be doing? (Tip: If it is a SHOULD, it may be someone else‘s dream…)
- When you think about your goal, does it give you a sense of deep contentment or ‘rightness,’ happiness. and excitement? (If so, these are good signs that it’s a healthy goal.)
- If you could have the goal RIGHT NOW – would you take it? (If not, why not? What issues are there?)
- How does this goal fit into your life/lifestyle? (Time/effort/commitments/who else might be impacted?)
- Can YOU start & maintain this goal/outcome? (i.e., Do you have complete control over achieving it?)
- How will making this change affect other aspects of your life? (i.e., What else might you need to deal with?)
- What’s good about your CURRENT SITUATION? (i.e., What‘s the benefit of staying right where you are?) Then ask, how can I keep those good aspects while STILL making this change?
- WHAT might you have to give up/stop doing to achieve this goal? (Essentially, what’s the price of making this change – and are you willing to pay it?)
- If there was something important around achieving this goal (to help you succeed, or that could get in the way) that you haven’t mentioned yet, what would it be?
- WHO will you have to BE to achieve this goal?
- Goal Sizing – Give your goal a range so that you can’t fail to achieve it!
- Is your goal the right size to be working on?
Too big? Break it down into smaller goals. Too small? Fit it into a larger goal.
- What would be the MINIMUM/Super-Easy level of the goal to achieve?
- What would be your TARGET level of the goal to achieve?
- What would be your EXTRAORDINARY level of the goal to achieve?
Resources – GET MOVING
- What RESOURCES do you already have to help you achieve your goal? Make a list! (e.g., things, support from people, contacts, personal qualities, knowledge, skills, money, time, etc.)
- What RESOURCES do you NEED to help you achieve your goal? Make a list!
IMPORTANT: REMEMBER – GOALS are there to INSPIRE YOU, not to beat yourself up with. Call me if you need help!
Wishing you all a wonderful and awesome New Year!
Until next time, have an effective week! To further this week’s conversation, schedule time with me and LET’S TALK!
Check it out: Architecting the Technical People Leader – a six-month based virtual learning opportunity for a small group of IT managers kicking off Feb 14, 2019. Limited seating is still available. Learn more…
Let’s Talk sponsored by www.ITeffectivity.com – an IT management and advisory practice targeting CIO’s challenge of leading and delivering business solutions with a focus on effective people and process capabilities.
Discover the possibilities by scheduling a complimentary strategy
session with Mary Patry.
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.